Interesting facts about the history of the castle and town
The castle in Melsztyn was built in the years 1340-1362 on the initiative of Castellan of Cracow Spycimir of Leliwa Coat of Arms. Originally the castle served as a knight's residence. The stronghold (old castle) occupied the south-eastern part of the site, a place of the greatest defensive value, closed on three sides by a steep slope.
In 1362 the bishop of Kraków Jan Bodzenta erected a chapel in the castle in Melsztyn.
In 1364 Jan Melsztyn led to the erection of a church dedicated to the Holy Cross in Melsztyn.
In the 14th century the castle of Melsztyn was the seat of the castellan of Krakow, John of Melsztyn and his son, the voivode of Krakow Spytek of Melsztyn, who was one of the signatories of theof Krewo. During the time when the castle belonged to the Melsztyńscy family, a donjon (a residential and defensive tower) and a wall were built, which connected the donjon with the Old Castle.
In 1511 Jan Melsztyński sold the castle in Melsztyn to Mikołaj Jordan of Myślenice, the castellan of Wiślica. Under the rule of the Jordans the stronghold was extended again. At that time, a two-storey building was erected, which housed shooting ranges, as well as representative and residential rooms. At that time also a cistern for rainwater was built and the farm buildings included, among others, shops, a bakery, a bath, stables and a wooden house.
In 1597 the castle in Melsztyn became the property of Wawrzyniec Spytek Jordan's daughters, Barbara and Magdalena. As a result of marriages of the latter's daughters, the stronghold passed into the hands of the Tarło family.Barbara, daughter of Magdalena and Stanisław Sobek married Zygmunt Tarło, and Krystyna, daughter of Barbara and Andrzej Zborowski married Jan Aleksander Tarło.
In 1744 Jan Tarło died and the castle of Melsztyn was inherited by his nephews Stanisław Lanckoroński and Maciej Lanckoroński.
In 1770 the castle in Melsztyn was burnt down during the fights of the Bar Confederation with the Russian army.From that moment the stronghold started to fall into ruins.
In the years 1789-1796 on the initiative of Antoni Lanckoroński a church was built in Domosławice.The building material for the church came, among others, the destroyed castle in Melsztyn.
The last person who tried to save the castle in Melsztyn was Karol Lanckoroński. He strengthened the walls of the fortress with cement and clamps, but at the same time he deprived the building of its original appearance. In 1885, he built a tourist hostel by the ruins of the castle. The levelling of the area for its construction caused the obliteration of the walls and foundations of the castle buildings and the parish church.
In 1886 the Lanckorońskis ceased to be the owners of the castle in Melsztyn.
During the First World War the chalet was destroyed and the castle in Melsztyn continued to fall into ruins.
After the Second World War the castle of Melsztyn remained without an owner until it was taken over by the Forestry Commission of Brzesko. In 2008 the ruins were handed over to the Town and Commune Office of Zakliczyn